Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Waits, Crates and Plates

I didn't plan on going yard sale-ing this past weekend. I wanted to head out early to Wright's Dairy - the best dairy farm and bakery for miles around - to pick up goodies for Easter.

As I anticipated, the place was mobbed. The guy directing traffic in the parking lot said people were in line as early as 6:30am and even though they planned to open at 7:30 instead of their usual 8:00, they actually opened their doors to the growing crowd before 7:00.

My sister's family followed us there so we could make a little cousins field trip out of it. If it weren't for the fact that they were driving behind me I would have stopped at all the yard sales we happened to pass on the way there. I tried not to think about how picked over they would be by the time we were done at the farm and heading back home. I tried to focus on pastries and coffee milk instead of roadside treasures.

After parking in East jappipi, this was the line around 9:00am:


I think we waited in line for about 45 minutes before our number was called. The kids made the most of the waiting time. Apparentlly so did my sister and brother-in-law! :)


When it was finally my turn I had them fill up a box with lemon squares, French apples squares, and M&M chocolate frosted brownies, just to name a few. I also left with a bag of warm cinnamon rolls and two bags of their famous hermits. And of course, a jug of both chocolate and coffee milk. SSOOOOO GOOOOD!

We wandered around the farm for a little while to let the kids see the cows.....


...and the chickens. I love the green tail feathers on this rooster.


Then we sat at the picnic tables and gorged on goodies. For breakfast. :) As we headed back to the car the line still looked like this:


On the way home I was able to stop at over half a dozen yard sales. Most of them were CRAP. A few looked like they would have been promising a couple of hours previously. It wasn't until we were almost home that I found a sale with few treasures work picking up.

These are a couple of vintage soda bottle crates I got.





I want to use them for storage but am not sure exactly what yet. I found a few inspirational ideas online - pictures link to sources. First are some ideas I could go with for storage in a kids room, either on the wall or floor.






I'm NOT a fan of the stickers on the next picture but I like the idea of shoe storage. It beats the plastic boot tray I have by my door right now. Well, except when shoes are wet or muddy.


Some day if I have a pantry I could use them to store dry goods like this:



The only other items I picked up were a couple of sectioned plastic plates with lids. Actually, these came "free" with the crates. ;)

I try to use glass as much for food storage but these are nice for meals on the go.






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...