Thursday, June 7, 2012

Showers of Blessings

A couple days ago the kids and I did a rainy day activity from Focus on the Family that was too cute not to share. The timing was right since it has rained every day this week.

I cut out a bunch of big rain drops from blue colored construction paper the night before while they were in bed and set a pile at each of their spots at the table, along with the markers.

When they woke up that morning, we started off by reading from Ezekiel 34:26, "I will bless them and the places surrounding my hill. I will send down showers in season; there will be showers of blessing."

I told the girls to think of the different blessings from God in their own life and to write the word(s) and/or color a picture of them on each of the raindrops. As they finished each one, they could go and tape it up onto the window.






A week of rain can really get you down. It's dark. And cold. And wet. You just want to stay in bed. Or take a nap. And if you're home with kids you go stir crazy. But instead of getting down in the dumps, you can choose to think of all the ways God has showered you with blessings. Write them down, one at a time. Put them up somewhere so that when the sun does shine, and you actually want to look out the window, you see them. And you read them. And you remember how good God is to you.


I did happen to read the rest of that chapter which went on to give all the specific blessings that God promised to Israel through the prophet Ezekiel. "The trees of the field will yield their fruit and the ground will yield its crops; the people will be secure in their land.  They will know that I am the Lord, when I break the bars of their yoke and rescue them from the hands of those who enslaved them. They will no longer be plundered by the nations nor will wild animals devour them. They will live in safety, and no one will make them afraid. I will provide for them a land renowned for its crops, and they will no longer be victims of famine in the land or bear the scorn of the nations. Then they will know that I, the Lord their God, am with them and that they, the house of Israel, are my people, declares the Sovereign Lord. You my sheep, the sheep of my pasture, are people, and I am your God, declares the Sovereign Lord."  Ezekiel 34:27-31

God showers you with blessings of food, provision, security, freedom, safety, knowledge of Him, belief in His promises, and the care of a Shepherd.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...