Wednesday, June 20, 2012

GOD IS...(9)

Last week I started a weekly summer "Poolside Book Club" with a bunch of girl friends from my church. (By the way its open to anyone - contact me for more info if interested. Kids welcome.) Our first book, that I'll be finishing up this week, is "Practical Theology for Women" by Wendy Horger Aslup. The subtitle is "How Knowing God Makes a Difference in Our Daily Lives."  Theology is a scary word for many people but this book is not deep/heavy. It's, well, practical -  just as the title implies. It's beginner level. It takes you to where the rubber meets the road, not just a bunch of fluffy ideas.

Seeing as the word theology literally means the study of God, the book is JAM PACKED full of scripture references about who God is. There is waaaaayyy too much to include here, so for now, I'm not including any of it. The book is A-MA-ZING. A must read for everybody. Man or Woman. Christian or not. I hope to write a little more about this book another time. Actually, it would be a great way to wrap up a post I started drafting....oh...6 months ago? So in the meantime, here I am catchhing up on God Is...


1 Corinthians 2:7,10 God's wisdom was a secret that had been hidden and that God destined for the glory of those to whom His Spirit reveals it to. "The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God."

1 Corinthians 2:11 "...no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God."

1 Corinthians 2:12 When we receive the Spirit who is from God, we can understand what God has freely given us.

1 Corinthians 2:16 No one has understood the mind of the Lord that they may instruct Him.

Genesis 1:11-23 Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds." And it was so. The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. And there was evening, and there was morning-the third day. And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years, and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so. God made two great lights-the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. And there was evening, and there was morning-the fourth day. And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky." So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. God blessed them and said, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth." And there was evening, and there was morning-the fifth day. (Don't ask me why but I stopped there - never read about day six or seven.)

1 Corinthians 3:5 The Lord assigns tasks to each of His servants.

1 Corinthians 3:6. Some plant the seed [of God's Word/the gospel], some water it, but it is God that makes it grow.

Psalm 18:2 "The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."

Daniel 3:28-29 God sent His angel to rescue His servants from a fiery death because they trusted in Him and were willing to give up their lives rather than worship any god except their own God. "...no other god can save in this way."

Psalm 34:4 The Lord answers us when we seek Him and He delivers us from all our fears.

Psalm 34:17-18 The Lord hears the righteous when they cry out to Him, He delivers them from all their troubles. "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."

Psalm 22:4 God delivers those who put their trust in Him.

Jonah 2:1-2 "From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the Lord his God. He said, 'In my distress I called to the Lord, and He answered me.  From the depths of the grave I called for help, and you listened to my cry.'"

Daniel 3:17 God is able to save us and rescue us.

Jonah 2:10 "And the Lord commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land."

Psalm 18:19 God brought David out into a spacious place; He rescued him because he delighted in God.

Psalm 91:14 "Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name."

Joshua 10:11 The Lord hurled large hailstones down from the sky on the Israelites' enemies and more of them died than by the swords of the Israelites.

Acts 12:11 The Lord sent His angel and rescued Peter from Herod's clutches and from everything the Jewish people were anticipating.

Psalms 5:3 "In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation."

Psalms 5:4-6 "You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil; with You the wicked cannot dwell. The arrogant cannot stand in Your presence; You hate all who do wrong. You destroy those who tell lies; bloodthirsty and deceitful men the Lord abhors."

Psalms 5:7 By God's great mercy we come into His house.

Psalms 5:11 All who take refuge in God are made glad. He spreads protection over those who love His name and rejoice in Him.

Psalms 5:12 The Lord blesses the righteous and surrounds them with favor as a shield.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...