Sunday, September 15, 2013

Craigslist Hutch

For a while I've been keeping my eyes open at yard sales and Sally's for a hutch with potential. Something in good enough shape for a makeover. And I challenged myself to find one under $75. I honestly don't shop Craigslist much. I use it for yard sale listings, but I rarely look for something specific. However, recently someone posted a hutch for sale in the yard sale listings.  I responded to the ad and went to see in person the hutch that looked promising in her picture. The girl said to just make an offer because she needed to empty her apartment in town to move across country. She accepted my $50 offer.


It's a miracle that we managed to get it up from her basement and into my van. She just had surgery and was fearful of splitting her incision. She called over a neighbor kid who was wider than he was tall and had light blue painted toenails. I pretty much carried all the weight and that's pretty scary. I haven't worked that hard or sweat that much since I don't know when. But where there's a will there's a way. It's now been sitting in my garage serving as my work bench until I can get to this project.


The top of the buffet has some stains and a few scratches and the hardware from one of the drawers is missing. I would keep the drawer handles if one wasn't missing, but now I need to get replacements. Other than that its in good condition, solid oak, and I like the general shape and style - especially the crown molding on top.


Though not on my wish list, it happens to have a light on the inside too. What it really needs is a good paint job to bring it new life. I plan to stick with the same dining room colors and curtains from the dining room our previous home:


So I'm actually considering painting the hutch green. I was drawn to this picture that I had ripped out of a recent Ballard Designs catalog before I ever even found the hutch.


Granted, it's not the right color for my dining room and this happens to be a desk, but it tempted me not to play it safe with a creamy white and to instead go with something bold and bright. I'm also aiming to paint it with a similar finish.

But first I need to finish my girls' room projects (school started and progress has slowed way down) and redo my kitchen table (not even half way done sanding) and then this is my next project. We spent the whole weekend here cleaning out our garage (so we can actually park both vehicles in it) so I didn't make progress on the girls' room or kitchen table. But I did manage to take off the hutch's hardware and doors and give it a decent cleaning so she's totally ready.

I leave you with three things:

1. If you've got experience painting that technique, please share your tips!

2. What's your best Craigslist find ever?

3. Anyone got vintage hardware laying around they want to give me?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...