Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Trash to become treasure

I've spent the last few weeks doing some SERIOUS nesting in terms of getting rid of crap. I went through the whole basement and put out tons of stuff for trash pickup, then ended up having a yard sale too. One of the perks of living on a state highway is I just piled whatever was leftover at the end of the driveway with a big FREE sign and within 24 hours it was all gone - I didn't have to lug anything to Sally's.

I had a few cases of seller's remorse but for the most part I was so excited to be rid of it all. There was one item in particular that I was a little sad about parting with. It was an old mirror branded "Solid Vermont Hardwood Maple" on the back. It probably originally went with a dresser but I got it a long time ago at a yard sale for a few bucks and have used it in various places since then. For at least the past couple of years, however, its been sitting on the floor of our 100+ year old basement. Due to moisture it was starting to fall apart so I decided to chuck it. Sniff, sniff... As I was carrying it out to the curb, the top literally broke off.

As I stood there holding the top section in my hand I realized, hey, this part has potential! So I kept it.



I don't know exactly what to do with it yet, but the architectural element made me want to salvage it and I am challenged to figure out how I'll put it to use. The top molding is at least 1 1/2 inches deep so I could use it as a ledge to rest a frame on. Any other ideas??? When ever I do something with it, I'll share here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...